global director of product- apparelBoston, Massachusetts Apply Now Date posted 05/03/2019 Schedule Full-time
Converse is the story of a sneaker that started on the court and moved to the stage and street. We’re a company ready for change and that’s who we hire: the most malleable, the most innovative, and the most creative. Our clothes and sneakers have been worn by rebels, rockers, rappers, artists, thinkers, and individuals. So that’s why we hire individuals. So we’re speaking the same language
Be a Product of Rad Society
We’ve got the goods. We just need the people who believe in the goods. That’s you. You see the product in the space. And you get how to make it leave the space. In someone’s bag, on someone’s feet. You’re a trend-watcher. A call-maker. Maybe even a visionary. You throw Product and Retail into a blender and make it come out as smooth delicious Success.
Converse does more than create the most iconic and well-loved sneakers in the world. Born in sports and celebrated by culture, it is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream, and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders, and visionaries. At Converse, it’s about each person bringing their authentic self, skills, and passion to serve the daring spirit of youth.
For Converse, everything begins and ends with the consumer. The Converse product and design teams understand our consumer, marketplace trends and insights to create the right product for marketplaces around the world. The team has the unique ability to see beyond trends to identify what’s next and deliver the right products, in the right places, at the right time and price.
Converse products enable and inspire human potential, and it’s up to the Converse Product Management team to define, drive and perfect those products and experiences for consumers around the world. Product managers lead the creation process, develop product lines, and maintain a keen understanding of consumer and market trends. Product Management employees skillfully operate at the intersection of buyer needs, technical feasibility and business goals.
In this role of Global Director of Men’s Apparel you will report to the Senior Director of Apparel & Accessories and be a key leader at the heart of the product creation team. You will work collaboratively with Design, Development, and Merch partners on one of Converse’s fastest growing business segments. You will impact the product creation process by providing relevant consumer insights as well as marketplace trends. You will display an expert understanding of our consumer, street style and a passion for the industry – leading market research efforts to inform the future vision of the line.
You will identify opportunities to elevate our product offering, keep pace with fashion and streetstyle trends, and ultimately serve our consumer with ways to self-express. You'll be an authority in product storytelling, collecting consumer insights, briefing, and the apparel industry at large. You'll be a service-oriented leader who wants to teach PLMs how to brief and architect the product line as much as you like digging and executing these plans yourself. This position requires a high-energy, self-motivated individual with excellent product knowledge and merchandising skills, excellent written and verbal communication, and excellent leadership.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership to the Men’s Apparel Product team, delivering world class product with compelling stories to directly serve our Converse Consumer target• Bring your industry and business expertise to provide long term vision and framework to seasonal line plans
- Ultimate accountability for the financial performance, operational performance, and data accuracy of the Men’s Global Inline category
- Develop the departmental plans, long term roadmaps/business strategies, and organizational priorities
- Performs work in support of brand plans; integrates company mission into daily work and planning; leads or participates in key initiatives, programs or products with moderate to wide visibility
- Cultivate a ‘one-team’ environment and structure that facilitates and maximizes individual and team performance, a culture of mentoring and feedback, and cross functional collaboration
- Set and model the behaviors of leadership in line with Nike, Inc. and Converse values
- Create compelling presentations to sell product to both internal and external audiences. Represent teams at key product creation meetings.
- A strategic thinker who can simultaneously obsess the details as well as the big picture to drive key decision making throughout the product creation process
- Product obsessed; tapped into the pulse of fashion trends, youth culture, lifestyle brands and the apparel industry
- A excellent leader; you have the ability to create, motivate, and guide direct reports, cross functional teams, and senior leaders
- Expert analytical skills, understanding of business metrics, sell through data and how to use it in creative ways to drive and measure results
- Creative problem solver who can find relevant solutions with existing resources
- An organized "doer" with exceptional multitasking skills-someone who will take initiative to make things happen
- Able to thrive in a exciting, constantly changing work environment
- Transparent, humble, honest and passionate about what's best for the entire team
- Typically requires Bachelor's Degree in apparel, operations, business or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 8 to 9 years of directly relevant work experience in apparel or fashion lifestyle industry preferred
- Demonstrated experience of guiding cross functional teams of designers, developers, merchandisers, and marketers in charge of multi-million dollar product portfolios
- Significant knowledge of merchandising, fashion industry trend cycles, retail and merchant needs
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of apparel construction, manufacturing processes, and materials/fabrics
- Excellent leadership, change management, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent storytelling, communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel up to 25% for domestic and international travel inclusive of Asia Factory and market travel
- Bachelors Degree and or minimum of 8 or 9 years directly relevant work experience.
Converse is more than a company; it’s a worldwide advocate for self-expression. This belief motivates our employees, permeates our working environment and inspires our products. No two of us look or think exactly alike. We are each one-of-a-kind. Individually and as a culture, we have the freedom to create and grow professionally. Generous benefits packages only sweeten the experience. From Boston to Shanghai, from Brand Design to Finance, Converse is a brand that celebrates the unique and creative people of the world. Together, we’re different.Apply Now